Stone - Canal Town

Stone is a 10 minute walk or 5 minute cycle from the station.

Stone is a canal side market town, equidistant between Stoke-on-Trent to the North and Stafford to the South. It stands in the valley of the River Trent and was once an important coaching town. The Trent and Mersey Canal was opened in 1766 to connect the River Trent with the River Mersey. The canal flows through Stone town centre and the headquarters of the Trent and Mersey Canal Company used to be located at Westbridge House below Star Lock.

The town now offers a vibrant choice of shops, cafes, pubs and restaurants centred on its pedestrianised High Street. It also offers a library, banks, supermarkets and doctors’ surgeries.

Why not visit Stone’s farmers’ market on the 1st Saturday of the month or the annual Autumn Food and Drink Festival?

Beer galore!

Stone has an important brewing history due to the quality of the local water. From the 12th century, when beer was brewed by the monks from Stone Priory, the town was famous for the quality of its beers until the last brewery closed in 1974. However the industry has recently been re-established by the opening of the Lymestone Brewery in 2008. Lymestone Brewery is a family run microbrewery producing a wide range of award winning cask and bottled beers. Brewery tours are available on request and open days are held regularly. And after 45 years absence from Stone, Joule’s is returning to a purpose built complex of a canalside pub, community theatre and a town heritage centre to be opened in 2020-2021.

Walking opportunities in Stone

The Trent and Mersey Canal and the River Trent both offer lots of interesting and peaceful walking opportunities. You could link these with a visit to Stone’s Common Plot, an area of about 75 acres of pasture and woodland crisscrossed with footpaths

Home of famous baker, Richard (Stoney) Smith

Stoney Smith was born at the mill house opposite The Mill (now a restaurant) in Mill Street in 1836. Richard perfected a method of steam cooking that preserved wheatgerm in bread without destroying its nutrients. His new kind of bread contained three times the natural germ, but without the grittiness that was associated with other wholemeal breads at the time. He patented his new flour in 1887 and in 1890 a national competition was held to find a better name for the rather clumsy “Smith’s Patent Process Germ Flour” for a prize of £25. The winner was Herbert Grime, who suggested the name “Hovis”, from the Latin “Hominis Vis” meaning “Strength of Man”.

Stone Station Community Centre

This beautiful building, opened in 1849 as the main station building, is full of history and character. It is Listed Grade 2 and stands in the Stone Conservation Area. It was refurbished for community use by Stone Town Council in 2003 and is available to rent. The breakout rooms are perfect for training days and the venue is also great for family events such as birthday parties and baby showers!

Stone Town Trail

The Stone Town Trail details a one hour walk around the town that visits places of historic and environmental interest, including the Trent and Mersey Canal. Leaflets are available at Stone Library in the High Street.


Places to Visit


Stonefield Park

10 minute walk or 3 minute cycle from the station.

This is a beautiful park accessed from Field Terrace and offering tennis courts, an aviary, a bowling green, toilets and a children’s play area.

Peace Pole on Crown Meadow

20 minute walk or 5 minute cycle from the station.

In May-2016, representatives from local schools, churches and societies joined with Stone Quakers on Crown Meadow to unveil a Peace Pole and plaque. On the Peace Pole the message “May Peace Prevail On Earth” is repeated in Polish, Russian, Spanish, Chinese, Arabic, Hebrew, Urdu and Braille.

Westbridge Park and Stone Leisure Centre

20 minute walk or 6 minute cycle from the station.

Westbridge Park is the largest park in Stone, set in an interesting canal and riverside location and offering a wide range of experiences. It is a peaceful, wildlife-enriched area with enjoyable riverside walks. Why not make a day of it and bring a picnic?

Stone Leisure Centre, in Westbridge Park, includes a swimming pool, gym and fitness studios and offers regular exercise classes.

Downs Banks or Barlaston Downs 

15 minute cycle from the station.

Downs Banks, owned by the National Trust, is “a little wilderness of woodlands and heath in the heart of the Midlands.”

Barlaston village and Wedgwood

1 hr walk or 20 minute cycle from the station to The Plume of Feathers pub.

1 hr 20 minute walk or 25 minute cycle from the station to The Upper House.

1 hr 30 minute walk or 30 minute cycle from the station to the World of Wedgwood.

Rail Replacement Service Bus D&G 14 operates several services Monday to Saturday between Stone, Barlaston and Wedgwood. For those with more time, why not take a walk along the canal towpath to Barlaston, home of the Wedgwoods? You could spend several hours here taking in a factory tour, pottery shops, tearoom or restaurant and a visit to the world class Wedgwood Museum.

Home | The Partnership | Publications | Get Involved

We use cookies on our website to help us give you the best experience on our website.
North Staffordshire Community Rail Partnership is not responsible for the content of any external websites featured.