This station, opened in 1848, was originally called Burslem after the nearby town but was renamed Longport in 1873 when Burslem Station on the Loop Line opened closer to the town. It was named Shawport Station by Arnold Bennett in his ‘Five Towns stories of the Potteries‘. The station buildings are now Grade 2 listed.
Alight at Longport to visit the weird and wonderful Cherished Chimneys and sample Staffordshire oatcakes at the bottom of the road. Follow a Story Quest trail nearby or travel further to Port Vale Football Club in Burslem, Mow Cop, Little Moreton Hall or Rode Hall and Gardens.